Home of iCrew Digital Productions Publishing
The Talent Statistician will have a key role in helping shape the broadcast of a sports event by effectively communicating important statistics and game trends to announcers and graphics producers.
This is a Recurring Position.
• Research and understand the storylines and statistics of each team.
• Confirm Starting lineups, officials and any other pregame information needs of the production crew.
• Help answer questions regarding plays that just happened. For example, in a basketball game: Which player was the foul on? Was the last shot a 2 or 3 point field goal?
• Identify trends and statistics that help tell the story of the game.
• Communicate stats and trends to announcers effectively without interrupting or intruding on their flow of the game. Answer any questions the announcers may have.
• Concisely communicate stats and trends to Graphics Producers over headset. Answer and questions the Graphics Producer may have.
• When they are available, work with teams’ SID/PR people to get information or questions answered.
• Good knowledge of sports history, rules, procedures, statistics and terminology.
• Strong communication skills (in person and over headset).
• Professional demeanor (representing ESPN in public, courtside or in broadcast booth).
• Experience working with statistics on a sports broadcast (As a Talent/Official Statistician or as a Graphics Producer).
• Strong math skills.
• Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent.
At Disney, we’re storytellers. We make the impossible, possible. We do this through utilizing and developing cutting-edge technology and pushing the envelope to bring stories to life through our movies, products, interactive games, parks and resorts, and media networks. Now is your chance to join our talented team that delivers unparalleled creative content to audiences around the world.
ESPN is an equal opportunity employer – Female/Minority/Veteran/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity. Our goal is to create an inclusive workplace for all.This job is no longer available. Click here to view current job listings.
USA Today story on Mark Aronoff, Talent Statistician
Here are some links to find information about how to do sports statistics.
NCAA Statisticians’ Manual and Resources
More to come.
Here is a great way to promote you teams on Game Day. Create a one sheet program that contains basic information about the game and about your teams. NCAA schools create these for every single game in every sport. The programs for large sports at large schools are many pages but the Olympic sports at all schools have a one sheet program.
A two-sided program should contain as a minimum:
- Team Schedule in three columns including date, opponent (at if away game), and a third column with previous scores and times for upcoming games.
- Rosters for both teams in numerical order. Number, name, position and class. College Rosters include Hometown/high school. Above the columns, the Overall and Conference record. Below, the coaches and Head coach longevity. I have been a Public Address Announcer for 37 years and these are invaluable.
- Website and social media addresses.
- Remaining space for graphics, photos, logos and possibly sponsors.
You should distribute 10 copies to the pressbox for game day personnel and media. You can then distribute enough to those attending or sell them for 25 or 50 cents at the gate.
Below is an example from Emerson College Mens Soccer.
I have used ScoreStream for five years to promote my high school’s sports program. SS connects with the most popular social media outlets with the score, photos, commentary, fan comments and of course likes.
At the most basic, scorestream presents a page that allows you to enter the score in real time or postgame. In most markets, the games in the major sports appear automatically. You may have to enter the games in your Olympic sports manually. That is rather easy.
Run the app on your IOS or Android phone and you can add photos and video during the game.
On your high school WordPress website, you can easily add a widget that displays a list of the most recent scores.
If you become a GM for your school, you can customize own look for your schools score pages.
ScoreStream is the ideal tool to promote your school and your teams.
EverNote Notebook on Sports Statistics and Marketing.